Hey everyone. The lovely Zezee of book blog Zee With Books tagged me to participate in the TBR (to-be-read) tag. Below are my responses to the questions, enjoy!
How do you keep track of your TBR pile?
- Goodreads has been quite helpful in keeping track of the books on my TBR. But some books on my bookshelf need to be read too. So just the sight of those books remind me of their existence.
Is your TBR mostly print or e-book?
- PRINT! I prefer physical books. I like to believe I’m building a collection (for the next generation to enjoy as well). Plus, just seeing my (physical) books on the bookshelf makes me proud for some reason! Buying books is an investment and I like to make references to the books from time to time. I have a few e-books, but they usually aren’t books I’m truly passionate about OR they are not available in physical copy yet.
How do you determine which book from your TBR to read next?
- It depends on my mood and what is available to me at the time. Most of the books on my TBR on Goodreads haven’t even been purchased yet and some probably won’t ever be haha. I read whatever my heart/mood desires at the time and pick it off my bookshelf; it is random.
A book that has been on your TBR the longest?
- I had to choose 4! I finally got a (signed) copy of Fine Boys this summer, as I mentioned in my 2015 Summer Book Haul post. Daughters Who Walk This Path, Baking Cakes in Kigali and No Telephone to Heaven have also been on my TBR for a while! I haven’t purchased any of them yet, so I don’t know when I’ll read them.
A book you recently added to your TBR?
- Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lorde
A book on your TBR strictly because of its beautiful cover?
- I chose 4 books. The book cover for Hiding in Plain Sight looks so beautiful in print if you ever see it, I promise! I love the art work for the Ivorian graphic novel series, Aya of Yop City and I hope to purchase the series in the future. The painting of Nnedi Okorafor’s cover for Kabu Kabu is truly a piece of art- look at those strokes! And of course, the sassy covergirl on Naomi Jackson’s The Star Side of Bird Hill cover is everything (and so me)!
A book on your TBR that you never plan on reading?
- I randomly bought Mema by Daniel Mengara from my local bookstore last year. I thought it would be an interesting read, as the author is from Gabon- a country that’s more or less absent in the African Literature scene. But so far, I’ve found the first few pages of the book to be extremely dry. For all you know, this book will probably be quite amazing if I give it a chance, but I doubt I’ll ever read Mema
anytime soon. Sorry, not sorry!
An unpublished book on your TBR that you’re excited for?
- Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue (Mbue is a new Cameroonian author! The book will be released August 2016) and Known and Strange Things by Teju Cole.
A book on your TBR that everyone recommends to you?
A book on your TBR that everyone has read but you?
- The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
A book on your TBR that you’re dying to read?
How many books are in your Goodreads TBR shelf?
- I have 97 books in my Goodreads TBR shelf. But on my bookshelf at home, I have about 50 books I haven’t read yet. But who is counting? No pressure here!
This was a cool stress-reliever post for me! Thanks Zezee for including me in on the fun.
- Osondu of Incessant Scribble
- Zanna of I Am Because You Are
- Mary Okeke of Mary Okeke Reviews
- Rowena of Les Reveries de Rowena
- Leslie of Folklore and Literacy
- Shannon of Reading Has Purpose
- Kinna of Kinna Reads
- Sabeena of The POCO Book Reader
- Jacqueline of The Big Sea
- Filomena of Figuring Things Out
- Read In Colour
- Nancy of AFREADA
and whoever else reads this post. Join in on the fun, you might spot new book recommendations!